Then I found this recipe in Salon ezine, and I'm posting it in honor of my travel mate Laurena, who loved it the most. The method of draining the yogurt will give it a nice, creamy consistency. I hope you enjoy this light and nutritious summer dip!
Michelle's tzatziki sauceTime: 2½ hours
You will need
- 1 yard of cheesecloth
- Rubber band
- Dowel or chopstick
- Large sauce pot
- Mixing bowl
- 4-lb. tub of yogurt
- 1 large cucumber
- 4-5 cloves garlic (pressed)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Dill to taste
- Salt to taste
- Olive oil
- Spread cheesecloth on a flat surface.
- Remove top from yogurt container. Take container and turn it upside down onto cheesecloth. Lift away container. Wrap yogurt in cheesecloth. Seal top of cheesecloth with a rubber band.
- Stick chopstick or dowel through top of cheesecloth and suspend the bundle over an empty pot. Let drain for two hours.
- Meanwhile, grate cucumber and squeeze liquid out. Press garlic.
- After yogurt has drained, dump the resulting cheese into a bowl. Add garlic and vinegar. Stir.
- Add dill and salt to taste and drizzle with olive oil.